News
Burundi voting ends in calm despite fraud allegation

Voting in Burundi’s presidential election passed calmly on Wednesday despite simmering political violence, the coronavirus pandemic and the opposition accusing the authorities of fraud.
In what could be the first competitive presidential election in Burundi since a civil war erupted in 1993, the ruling CNDD-FDD party’s candidate, retired general Evariste Ndayishimiye, is running against opposition leader Agathon Rwasa and five others.
President Pierre Nkurunziza, whose government has repeatedly been accused of rights abuses, will step down after 15 years.
Rwasa said electoral observers from his party were chased away from the polling stations.
“There is a massive electoral fraud. Our representatives, mandated to follow the electoral process to the end, have been chased. So how can you agree on results counted out of your sights?” he told Reuters.
The government did not respond to requests for comment about the fraud accusation.
Last week it expelled the head of the mission in Burundi of the World Health Organisation, who had criticised all parties for holding rallies despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Burundi has reported 42 coronavirus cases and one death. But only 633 tests have been carried out, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. The authorities said it was safe to vote despite the disease and called on Burundians to turn out.
“We call on Burundians to vote in massive numbers and vote peacefully. We need good elections,” Dr Pierre Claver Kazihise, chairman of the election commission, said in comments aired by state broadcaster RTNB.
Queues to vote were long in the morning in the main commercial city Bujumbura’s Musaga neighbourhood, where the opposition is popular.
“The voting is really taking place smoothly and I voted for change but I am pessimistic about the counting of votes,” said one resident who did not wish to be identified.
Several voters were worried that Twitter and WhatsApp – messaging services that can spread information quickly – seemed to be shut down.
The election is meant to usher in the first democratic transition in 58 years of independence, after widespread international criticism of the last election in 2015, when Nkurunziza won a third term and the opposition boycotted.
That election sparked violent protests that drove hundreds of thousands of Burundians into exile. The United Nations documented hundreds of killings and the torture and gang-rape of opposition activists. Donors withdrew funding. -Reuters
News
Street Academy holds special picnic to celebrate Ramadan

The Street Academy, a sports and cultural organization, on Monday held a special event to commemorate the Eid-dul-fitr celebration for underprivileged Muslim children in the Academy.
Director of the Academy, Ataa Lartey, told the Spectator that although there are only a few Muslim children in the Academy, it was important to also celebrate with them just as it’s done with the Christian children on their festive occasion.
It attracted a huge number of children from underprivileged communities who engaged in a number of fun activities and fete by the management of the school.
According to Ataa Lartey, the special Ramadan picnic was to give the children a taste of what the season was about and create the feeling that they were part of the national and international communities.
“In Ghana, we have the liberty to practise any religion of one’s choice. So, just as we celebrate with Christians, it is equally important to show similar love and care to the Muslim children from underprivileged homes,” he said.
“The Muslim children in the Academy would not be left out of the project. We make sure they also have access to all the benefits that comes to the academy. This is an opportunity to show love to them as part of the movement.”
“As children, apart from helping them with education and sports, we also imbibe in them social morals like being tolerant with each other and being one another’s keeper. If they are able to get all of these, Ghana will be a better place for all,” he said.
News
GIPC rolls Out 24-Hour premium Service

The Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC) has introduced a 24-hour premium service to expedite investment registration and approvals.
Announcing the initiative at a media launch in Accra, GIPC’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr.Simon Madjie stated that it will enhance efficiency in processing investor applications and
improve service delivery.
He emphasized that the premium service aligns with the government’s 24-hour economy initiative, which seeks to create a dynamic business environment, attract investment, and
drive sustained economic growth.
“Our service aligns with global best practices and provides investors with priority processing for their applications, ensuring timely support for urgent business activities,” Mr. Madjie stated.
He further highlighted that, along with ongoing efforts to review the GIPC Act, the initiative demonstrates the Centre’s commitment to removing barriers to investment in Ghana.
Providing more details on the service, GIPC’s Acting Head of Investor Services, Mr. Kwame Kesse-Agyepong, explained that it covers investor registrations, certificate renewals, and
automatic and replacement quotas.
He clarified that the premium service is available only upon request, requiring investors to have all mandatory documents in order and complete the necessary payment.
“The clock starts ticking once we confirm that all submitted documents are in order,” Mr. Kesse-Agyepong stated in response to a question on the service’s turnaround time.
He added that applications for the 24-hour premium service, could be submitted in-person, or via a dedicated mail;expinvestor.services@gipc.gov.gh
Mr. Kesse-Agyepong encouraged investors and businesses to leverage GIPC’s offerings, including the new 24-hour premium service, to establish operations in Ghana seamlessly.